01296 397000 24hrs


Sewage & wastewater treatment and management

Insurance FAQs

Here are answers to some of the questions we are most frequently asked regarding insurance claims for damage or problems relating to off-mains drainage systems. If you have a question which isn’t covered here, please call us on 01296 397000 or email enquiries@estsonline.co.uk and we will do our best to help.

Do I need a specific insurance policy to cover my off-mains drainage system?

Specific insurance policies for off-mains drainage systems are rare and in most cases expensive. This is because most people are covered under their buildings insurance (frequently as part of the standard policy, but occasionally as an additional option), so the volume of specialist policies is very low. If you are looking at insurance, the best place to start is by looking at your current buildings insurance policy or, if you are buying a property, into the insurance options available.

Is the damage to my off-mains drainage system covered by my buildings insurance?

This question is covered in more detail under Am I covered, but basically depends on two things: the nature of the problem and the specific terms of your insurance policy. Most buildings insurance policies provide cover for off-mains drainage, often in a section headed “accidental damage to underground services”, although it is not always as clearly labelled. If you aren’t sure and have your policy to hand, we can usually give an indication as to whether the policy should cover it over the phone, but to accurately evaluate the problem requires a site visit, which we offer free of charge. For help in both respects, please call 0808 168 6028.

What happens if I have already tried to claim and had the claim rejected?

This question is covered in more detail under Rejected claims and is far more common than you might imagine. Underground drainage is a technical subject and presenting the facts in the wrong way or an ambiguous way can cause an insurer to reach the wrong conclusion and unfairly turn a claim down. It is perfectly reasonable to ask for a claim to be reconsidered or to take it to appeal and, if this is on the basis of a detailed specialist report such as ESTS can provide, the initial decision is often reversed. If you have had a claim turned down, we offer a free onsite inspection at which we will give you our professional opinion on whether we think the claim is valid. To arrange a visit, please call 0808 168 6028.

What do you charge to handle insurance claims?

Very simple. Nothing. You do not pay us a penny for the site visit or any of the work we do helping you to make a successful claim. We willingly do this as we are so often successful in being awarded the repair contract that we happily help whatever the outcome. In addition to jobs we get as a result of helping individuals with insurance claims, we are frequently called in by insurance companies to carry our works on claims that have come to them via other routes. The reason we are successful in securing so many jobs comes down to expertise, quality of work, reliability and of course price. We believe in doing an excellent job for an extremely competitive price to encourage repeat business and happy customers (both individuals and insurance companies).

If your claim is covered, the only cost to you should be the excess on your insurance policy, which should be easy to calculate.

What if my insurance doesn’t cover the claim?

Some buildings insurance policies require an additional premium to be paid to cover off-mains drainage and others specifically exclude off-mains drainage, in which case you may well not be covered. If this is the case, we will advise you as soon as possible that a successful claim is highly unlikely and provide you will a report and a quote for the work required to rectify the situation. You can then, of course, get other quotes if you choose before deciding how to proceed.